'the greatest New Zealand poet no one has ever heard of' (Spinoff)
Poem for September 2021
This riddle was written for the Sutton Hoo Saxonship Project - one of 14 poems so far.
If you go to their link - www.saxonship.org - you can see the poems, sponsor a rivet, and take your part in the reconstruction of the great ship.
The Matter of Tree-Felling
when we walk to the woods I wait within
unborn under boughs my lord’s bellows
sigh softly till he swings and snaps
his iron tooth at the tough trunks
then I start strum my strings
restless rise all ready
for my short sudden speech
after long labour I lie less low
burst at a blow into the bright air
born of braw and battle-burst
What's Afoot? Top 10
1. 'The Extasie', 64 love poems, now out, with its wonderful cover (and contents!). Available to buy at all good bookshops, or order from Amazon and/or www.carcanet.co.uk A SUNDAY TIMES SUMMER READ RECOMMENDATION (see also Financial Times Literary Supplement).
2. SLG Publishing in Oxford have accepted my translations of 25 Amado Nervo poems: proofs have arrived already - the fastest book-making ever! And it may be, perhaps, the first of a small series of Contemplative Poems in translation. Due out later this year.
3. Just written the Blurb for forthcoming Carcanet Classics vol. of my and bro's translation of Petrus Borel's 'Rhapsodies 1838'. Due out 2022.
4. 'Aotearoa/Angleland', a selection of 30/30 tankas to be published by New Walk Editions. Just working on proofs and cover.
5. 'Meet the Author' is now on the Carcanet blog : https://carcanetblog.blogspot.com/2021/04/john-gallas-extasie.html
6. a 'translation' of the Middle-Scots 'Buke of the Howlat' now complete: possibly for the libretto of an Alasdair Nicolson opera/masque/cantata. See www.alasdairnicolson.co.uk
7. Look out the for FOUR GRID-PAPER PICTURE-POEMS (Proust, T.E.Lawrence, Basho & Henry Flynt) published online by the very wonderful Otolith Group (www.otolithgroup.org) : and for '4 Machine-Made Poems' in the next edition of STAND www.standmagazine.org
8. 'The Gnawing Flood', a book of 28 anti-colonial poem-prints now out from brave and exciting Cerasus Publishing. Order @ The Gnawing Flood: Amazon.co.uk: Gallas, John: 9798592286063: Books
9. John Rylands Library Manchester Online Exhibition : the creative process of a John Gallas poem, 'Somewhere down Hurdletree Gate' - visit @ https://medium.com/special-collections/the-creative-process-of-poet-john-gallas-a01301497c92
10. Completed : a set of online workshops called 'Write Like a Saxon' for the Sutton Hoo Saxonship Project (www.saxonship.org). JOIN IN - and meanwhile sponsor a rivet at the website address! This wonderful project is also about to exhibit a CGI film of the ship in action accompanied by a reading of my Saxonship Poem no.10, 'On the Water'. Poems 11 and 12 on the way.
Complete Book List - we have reached 24 !
Practical Anarchy (Carcanet)
Flying Carpets Over Filbert Street (Carcanet)
Resistance is Futile (Carcanet)
The Ballad of Robin Hood and the Deer (Agraphia Press), pictures by Clifford Harper
The Ballad of Santo Caserio (Agraphia Press), pictures by Clifford Harper
The Song Atlas (Carcanet)
Star City (Carcanet)
The Book with Twelve Tales (Carcanet)
Fucking Poets (3 vols) (Cold Hub Press NZ)
40 Lies (Carcanet) pictures by Sarah Kirby
Fresh Air & The Story of Molecule (Carcanet)
52 Euros (Carcanet)
Pacifictions (Cold Hub Press NZ)
The Alphabet of Ugly Animals (Magpie Press)
Mad John's Walk (Five Leaves : Occasional Pamphlets) January 2017
The Little Sublime Comedy (Carcanet) 2018
17 Very Pacific Poems (Indigo Dreams) 2019
The Blood Book (Gerolstein Press)
The Gnawing Flood (Cerasus Publishing) 2021 - out now, see above No.1.
The Extasie (Carcanet) - due out April 2021 - see above.
*Petrus Borel 'Rhapsodies', translated from the French by John & Kurt Gallas (Carcanet Classics) - due out 2022
*Aotearoa/Angleland' - 30 + 30 tankas from my two lands (New Walk Editions) - autumn/winter 2021
* 'Amado Nervo: Poems of Faith & Doubt' - SLG Publishing, Oxford. Due out late this year.
John Gallas Poetry www.johngallaspoetry.co.uk
Carcanet Press www.carcanet.co.uk
Carcanet blog www.carcanetblog.blogspot.co.uk
John Gallas Facebook
Cold Hub Press (NZ) www.coldhubpress.co.nz
New Walk Editions www.newwalkmagazine.com
Five Leaves publishing/bookshop (Mad John's Walk) www.fiveleaves.co.uk
Agraphia / Clifford Harper www.agraphia.co.uk
YouTube (Paterau Sonnent / The Blobfish Sings Under the Sea)
STAND Magazine www.standmagazine.org
Indigo Dreams publishing www.indigodreams.co.uk
Spinoff (NZ) www.thespinoff.co.nz
The John Clare Project www.brookes.ac.uk/the-meeting
The Sutton Hoo Ship Build (Sponsor that Rivet) www.saxonship.org