'the greatest New Zealand poet no one has ever heard of'
Poem for December 2023
tanka 118. When I was little no.2
I had a tin bath
set in the back room between
the fireplace and the
crimson curtain. There I splashed,
and set sail for the front door.
(tanka from 'Here They Come! 200 Tankas Delivering Goodness Fresh to Your Doorstep!':
to be published by Carcanet Press in 2024: see below, no.5).
THE MAKER'S TOP TEN
1. Just won the Wells Festival Poetry Prize with 'horsebreezes': a very welcome £1000 - many thanks to the organisers/sponsors. Especially pleased as the poem is from a collection I'm writing in a 'new style', so feel I'm doing something right!
2. Producing, for each forthcoming issue of PNReview, a small set of 5 translations of short poems by writers from all places and periods: called MONDO DE KVAR ANGULOJ (That's 'World of 4 Corners' in Esperanto), the first - out now - is 'Arboj' (Trees) - to come, 'Macino' (Machines), 'Dormo' (Sleep) and more ...
3. Have delivered whole text of my translation of Reinhard Sorge's (1892-1916) 'After the End: Posthumous Poems' to SLG Press, Oxford. Publication 2024.
4. To co-edit, with Vaughan Rapatahana, a volume of Aotearoa/NZ ex-pat poets/poetry. We are under way, sorting funding, poets etc. Any links, contacts etc gratefully accepted.
5. 'Here They Come! 200 Loaded Tankas Delivering Goodness Fresh to Your Doorstep' has been accepted by Carcanet: publication 2024. (SEE ABOVE POEM/TANKA for December).
6. Two new collections now out in SLG Oxford's series of 'Contemplative Poetry'. My translations of poems by Gabriela Mistral (first Latin American writer to win the Nobel Literature Prize, 1945) and 'Touchpapers', a volume of short-poem translations from around the world. Books available from www.slgpress.co.uk
7. A fab & wonderful review in the Times Literary Supplement of my & bro's 'Petrus Borel: Rhapsodies 1831' translation/book (Carcanet) - 'rivals the original' and 'a reliquary of gems'. Available to read online, or buy September 30th 2022 TLS.
8. 'The Alphabet of Ugly Animals' with drawings by Paul & Viola Gent (see Paul's Instagram & Twitter pages) due out this year from the very wonderful Cerasus Publishing.
9. a few of my & bro's translations of poems by Jean Lorrain out (online mag) with 'Impossible Archetypes' www.impossiblearchetypes.wordpress.com - a wonderful publisher.
10. 'The Extasie', 64 love poems, now out, with its wonderful cover - and contents, of course. Available to buy at all good bookshops, or order from Amazon and/or www.carcanet.co.uk
***** it is ...
A SUNDAY TIMES SUMMER READ RECOMMENDATION (see also Financial Times Literary Supplement) and a fab review from 'coffeetime' ('love poetry at its best') - read at https://coffee-time-reviews.com/2021/11/19/why-the-extasie-is-love-poetry-at-its-best/
Complete Book List - we have reached over 30 struth ...
Practical Anarchy (Carcanet)
Flying Carpets Over Filbert Street (Carcanet)
Resistance is Futile (Carcanet)
The Ballad of Robin Hood and the Deer (Agraphia Press), pictures by Clifford Harper
The Ballad of Santo Caserio (Agraphia Press), pictures by Clifford Harper
The Song Atlas (Carcanet)
Star City (Carcanet)
The Book with Twelve Tales (Carcanet)
Fucking Poets (3 vols) (Cold Hub Press NZ)
40 Lies (Carcanet) pictures by Sarah Kirby
Fresh Air & The Story of Molecule (Carcanet)
52 Euros (Carcanet)
Pacifictions (Cold Hub Press NZ)
Mad John's Walk (Five Leaves : Occasional Pamphlets) January 2017
The Little Sublime Comedy (Carcanet) 2018
17 Very Pacific Poems (Indigo Dreams) 2019
The Blood Book (Gerolstein Press)
The Gnawing Flood (Cerasus Publishing) 2021
The Extasie (Carcanet) 2021
Amado Nervo: Poems of Faith & Doubt (SLG Press, Oxford) 2021
Aotearoa/Angleland: 30+30 tankas (New Walk Editions) 2021
Petrus Borel 'Rhapsodies', translated from the French by John & Kurt Gallas (Carcanet Classics)
The High Roof of Heaven (Anglo-Saxon poems transl. JG) (SLG Press, Oxford) 2022
Where Grace Grows Ever Green (Middle English poems transl.ed JG) SLG Press, Oxford) 2022
17 Paper Resurrections (from graveyards in mid-Wales: picture-poems) (Dempsey & Windle 2022)
Drops in the Sea of Time: Poetry of Woman & God (SLG Press, Oxford 2022)
Fly Not Too High: Holy Sonnets of Gabrielle de Coignard & Vittoria Colonna (SLG 2022)
This Far Place: poems of Gabriela Mistral (SLG 2023)
Touchpapers (SLG 2023) Contemplative Poetry series No.11
* The Poems of Reinhard Sorge (SLG due out 2023/4)
* The Alphabet of Ugly Animals (Cerasus Press) - due out 2024
* Here They Come! 200 Loaded Tankas Delivering Goodness Fresh to Your Doorstep! (Carcanet) - due out 2024
John Gallas Poetry www.johngallaspoetry.co.uk
Carcanet Press www.carcanet.co.uk
Carcanet blog www.carcanetblog.blogspot.co.uk
John Gallas Facebook
Cold Hub Press (NZ) www.coldhubpress.co.nz
New Walk Editions www.newwalkmagazine.com
Five Leaves publishing/bookshop (Mad John's Walk) www.fiveleaves.co.uk
Agraphia / Clifford Harper www.agraphia.co.uk
YouTube (Paterau Sonnent / The Blobfish Sings Under the Sea)
STAND Magazine www.standmagazine.org
Indigo Dreams publishing www.indigodreams.co.uk
Spinoff (NZ) www.thespinoff.co.nz
The John Clare Project www.brookes.ac.uk/the-meeting
The Sutton Hoo Ship Build (Sponsor that Rivet) www.saxonship.org
SLG Press (Series of Contemplative Poetry) www.slgpress.co.uk
Dempsey & Windle, publishers of '17 Paper Resurrections' www.dempseyandwindle.com