'the greatest New Zealand poet no one has ever heard of' (Spinoff)
Poem for May 2022
No.11 from '17 Paper Resurrections'
this prize-winning book (see cover picture at the bottom of this webpage)
is available to buy at £8 from www.dempseyandwindle.com from 1st May 2022
or by contacting JG at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by going to 'John Gallas 17 Paper Resurrections' on ebay
each of the 17 poems has an accompanying computer-art illustration.
The poems are based on real graveyard/church inscriptions in mid-Wales
and bring gently back to life the folks memorialized.
It is a beautiful book: thanks, D&W!
11. Eleanor Charlotte Lloyd
d. February 9th 1840 aged 9 weeks, daughter of John & Eleanor Lloyd, Drapers. Corris
The Saints leaned out on their bars of glass.
Something at five o’clock.
Is it a bird ? said Irene of Antioch.
Is it an aero-plane ?
rowing ever upwards in a salvo of talc
trailing, thus, tucked swaddles
of finest muslin and lawn
both voluminous and long ?
carefully trimmed with sails of satin
and stitchings of treadled lace
and a calling-card
for the Drapers’ at Llanbardan Road
pinned to its baby breast ?
Nay, said St Florence of Garreg Ddu,
as the bundle shot out of the void,
it is little Eleanor Charlotte Lloyd.
The Maker's Dozen
1. Won the Brian Dempsey Memorial Poetry Prize. Book now published: '17 Paper Resurrections', poems from graveyard inscriptions collected when biking about mid-Wales - with a computer-art picture, made by JG, on each poem's facing page.
2. Just launched: Petrus Borel 'Rhapsodies 1831' by Carcanet Classics. Buy at www.carcanet.co.uk Zoom launch available to watch on youtube, link below: readings of Borel's poems, discussion and Q&A. A 'blistering' book, an engrossing event! https://youtu.be/8Fc_X6qy5jY
3. The 2nd and 3rd volumes of the 'Contemplative Poetry' series, 'The High Roof of Heaven' (translations by JG of Anglo-Saxon poetry), and 'Where Grace Grows Ever Green' (Middle English poems edited/translated by JG) are now available from SLG Press (email@example.com)
4. 'Aotearoa/Angleland' - 30+30 tankas, a beautifully done pamphlet, out now. Buy at www.newwalkmagazine.com: an edited video of the Zoom launch/reading (with Belinda Rimmer, 'Holding On') is available to watch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL3pXHGReqE
5. Won the Corsham Story-Telling Poetry Competition with 'Fingers Farooqi paints a story on the town wall'. Zoom for the Event & Reading available online. Look out for Radio reading (half an hour) by JG in association with that prize on Huntingdon Community Radio.
6. Won the Parkinsons Art Poet of the Year with a wonky sonnet in praise of Emma Goldman's invention of the Anarchist Hop ('If you can't dance, I don't want to join your revolution'). Read the poem/award at https://parkinsons.art/poetrycomp
7. Prizewinner in the Manchester Cathedral Poetry Fest: a desert sonnet ('Umm Lahayi'). Booklet published, and now available from Manchester Cathedral online.
8. 'The Extasie', 64 love poems, now out, with its wonderful cover - and contents, of course. Available to buy at all good bookshops, or order from Amazon and/or www.carcanet.co.uk
***** it is ...
A SUNDAY TIMES SUMMER READ RECOMMENDATION (see also Financial Times Literary Supplement) and a fab review from 'coffeetime' ('love poetry at its best') - read at https://coffee-time-reviews.com/2021/11/19/why-the-extasie-is-love-poetry-at-its-best/
9. 'Meet the Author' is now on the Carcanet blog : https://carcanetblog.blogspot.com/2021/04/john-gallas-extasie.html
10. 'The Gnawing Flood', a book of 28 anti-colonial poem-prints now out from brave and exciting Cerasus Publishing. Order @ The Gnawing Flood: Amazon.co.uk: Gallas, John: 9798592286063: Books
11. My SaxonShip Project 'anglo-saxon' poems and riddles are all available at www.saxonship.org under 'Saxonship Poet: John Gallas'. Sign up, sponsor a rivet, and be a part of the great enterprise.
12. Work in progress: completed opera libretto for composer Alasdair Nicolson based on the middle-Scots poem 'The Buke of the Howlat'. Translations of the holy sonnets of Vittoria diColonna & Gabrielle deCoignard for SLG Publishing now complete. Having a rest before tackling 'Fork Flats', a mysterious place with a mysterious mission ...
13. 8 'shipdreams', tankas for the Sutton Hoo Saxonship Project (www.saxonship.org) - poems with pictures - will soon be online-published by the wonderful Otolith mag: link to Otolith's '8 Shipdreams for Saxonship' (www.saxonship.org) https://the-otolith.blogspot.com/2022/03/john-gallas.html
Complete Book List - we have reached 28 ...
Practical Anarchy (Carcanet)
Flying Carpets Over Filbert Street (Carcanet)
Resistance is Futile (Carcanet)
The Ballad of Robin Hood and the Deer (Agraphia Press), pictures by Clifford Harper
The Ballad of Santo Caserio (Agraphia Press), pictures by Clifford Harper
The Song Atlas (Carcanet)
Star City (Carcanet)
The Book with Twelve Tales (Carcanet)
Fucking Poets (3 vols) (Cold Hub Press NZ)
40 Lies (Carcanet) pictures by Sarah Kirby
Fresh Air & The Story of Molecule (Carcanet)
52 Euros (Carcanet)
Pacifictions (Cold Hub Press NZ)
Mad John's Walk (Five Leaves : Occasional Pamphlets) January 2017
The Little Sublime Comedy (Carcanet) 2018
17 Very Pacific Poems (Indigo Dreams) 2019
The Blood Book (Gerolstein Press)
The Gnawing Flood (Cerasus Publishing) 2021
The Extasie (Carcanet) 2021
Amado Nervo: Poems of Faith & Doubt (SLG Press, Oxford) 2021
Aotearoa/Angleland: 30+30 tankas (New Walk Editions) 2021
Petrus Borel 'Rhapsodies', translated from the French by John & Kurt Gallas (Carcanet Classics)
The High Roof of Heaven (Anglo-Saxon poems transl. JG) (SLG Press, Oxford) 2022
Where Grace Grows Ever Green (Middle English poems transl.ed JG) SLG Press, Oxford) 2022
17 Paper Resurrections (from graveyards in mid-Wales: with computer-art)
Drops in the Sea of Time: Poetry of Woman & God (SLG Press, Oxford 2022)
* The Alphabet of Ugly Animals (Cerasus) - due out 2022
John Gallas Poetry www.johngallaspoetry.co.uk
Carcanet Press www.carcanet.co.uk
Carcanet blog www.carcanetblog.blogspot.co.uk
John Gallas Facebook
Cold Hub Press (NZ) www.coldhubpress.co.nz
New Walk Editions www.newwalkmagazine.com
Five Leaves publishing/bookshop (Mad John's Walk) www.fiveleaves.co.uk
Agraphia / Clifford Harper www.agraphia.co.uk
YouTube (Paterau Sonnent / The Blobfish Sings Under the Sea)
STAND Magazine www.standmagazine.org
Indigo Dreams publishing www.indigodreams.co.uk
Spinoff (NZ) www.thespinoff.co.nz
The John Clare Project www.brookes.ac.uk/the-meeting
The Sutton Hoo Ship Build (Sponsor that Rivet) www.saxonship.org
SLG Press (Series of Contemplative Poetry) www.slgpress.co.uk
Dempsey & Windle, publishers of '17 Paper Resurrections' www.dempseyandwindle.com